A hardware wallet is a physical device (i.e. similar to a USB stick), which has the functionality to store private keys in order to safely and securely access cryptocurrency accounts on any computer, regardless whether that computer is secure or not.
Ledger is a well known manufacturer of hardware wallets from France, and is one of the leading solutions in the blockchain industry. They offer two different devices, the Ledger Nano S and the Ledger Nano X.
Lisk is a cryptocurrency which supports both Ledger hardware wallet devices. This user guide explains the procedure required to set up and use the Lisk wallet with a Ledger hardware wallet.
Please be aware: Currently, with Lisk Desktop v2.2.0-beta.0 only the Ledger Nano S is supported. The Ledger Nano X will be supported in a later beta version.
- Computer (at least Windows 8.1 (64 bit), macOS 10.10, or Linux) with internet.
- Ledger Nano S.
- Lisk Desktop (at least v2.2.0 beta).
Install Lisk Desktop
This user guide explains how to use your Ledger hardware wallet with the official Lisk wallet called Lisk Desktop.
- Download Lisk Desktop v2.2.0-beta.0.
- Follow the installation instructions.
- Open Lisk Desktop.
Set up your Ledger Hardware Wallet
To configure your Ledger hardware wallet only use the following official instructions provided by Ledger. Ensure you follow the steps below to download and install Ledger Live, set up and check your Ledger hardware genuinity, and finally update it to the latest version.
- Download and install Ledger Live, see the official instructions.
- Set up your Ledger hardware wallet, see the official instructions for the Ledger Nano S.
- Check for Ledger hardware wallet genuinity, see the official instructions.
- Update your Ledger hardware wallet to the latest version, see the official instructions for the Ledger Nano S.
Add the Lisk App to your Ledger Hardware Wallet
To use your Ledger hardware wallet with Lisk Desktop it is necessary to add the Lisk App to it. This occurs through Ledger Live within the Manager section, which offers a dedicated app for each specific cryptocurrency. In more technical terms the Lisk App is also being referred to as the Lisk firmware.
- Open Ledger Live.
- Enable the developer mode by going to: Settings > Experimental features > Developer mode. (Please note: only required for the Lisk Desktop v2.2.0 beta!)
- Open the Manager in Ledger Live.
- Connect your Ledger hardware wallet to your computer.
- Unlock your Ledger hardware wallet by typing in the PIN.
- Authorize the Manager on your Ledger hardware wallet.
- Locate and install the Lisk 2.0 Dev App. (Please note: only required for the Lisk Desktop v2.2.0 beta!)
Sign in to your Lisk Account via the Ledger Hardware Wallet
To connect your Ledger hardware wallet make sure that Ledger Live is closed, your Ledger hardware wallet is connected to your computer, and that you are using the latest version of Lisk Desktop.
Please note: Currently, Lisk Desktop v2.2.0-beta.0 requires you to activate the Developer mode, and to use the Developer Lisk App called `Lisk 2.0 Dev`.
- Ensure Ledger Live is closed. (Please note: only one connection can be open at the same time!)
- Ensure your Ledger hardware wallet is connected to your computer.
- Ensure your Ledger hardware wallet is unlocked.
- Open Lisk Desktop.
- Click on `Sign in` in the top right corner.
- Click on `Sign in with a hardware wallet`.
- Lisk Desktop should display the following message: `Ledger Nano S/X connected! Open the Lisk app on the device.`
- Open the Lisk 2.0 Dev app on your Ledger hardware wallet. (Please note: only required for the Lisk Desktop v2.2.0 beta!)
- Authorize the Lisk 2.0 Dev app on your Ledger hardware wallet.
- You are now successfully signed in!
Create a Lisk Account on your Ledger Hardware Wallet
To add your Lisk account on your Ledger hardware wallet is an easy and straightforward process. If you connect the Ledger wallet for the first time, an `Unnamed account` already exists under the `Empty` tab. Ensure you have LSK tokens in this account in order to send transactions.
- If it’s the first time you are using your Ledger hardware wallet, click on the `Empty` tab.
- Find the `Unnamed account`, please note you have the option to give the account a name of your choice.
- Click on the account to obtain access to it.
- Go to `Wallet` to retrieve the Lisk address.
- Transfer LSK tokens to your Lisk address.
Send Transactions with the Ledger Hardware Wallet
Lisk offers a multitude of transaction types. Every transaction type can be sent from Lisk Desktop. The process with your Ledger hardware wallet is always the same, you execute the transaction in Lisk Desktop, confirm the transaction details on your Ledger hardware wallet, and finally authorize it in order to send it.
- On Lisk Desktop execute any type of transaction, e.g. a balance transfer transaction.
- Provide all required information, e.g. recipient and amount of LSK tokens to transfer.
- Click on `Go to confirmation`.
- Confirm all provided information.
- Press on `Send x LSK`.
- Confirm the transaction details on your Ledger hardware wallet.
- Authorize your transaction on your Ledger hardware wallet.
- Your transaction was sent!
Please be aware: Currently, with Lisk Desktop v2.2.0-beta.0 all multi-signature transactions are not supported, yet. They will be supported in a later beta version.